They say being a parent is a full-time job, but in reality, it feels like it should be equivalent to TWO full-time jobs! When it comes to the health of your kids, you want to do everything possible to make sure they grow up strong and healthy. Unfortunately, many of the standard recommendations, like having a tonsillectomy or taking a routine course of antibiotics may do more harm than good.
On the flip side, there are several things you can do to give your kids the upper hand when it comes to staying healthy and warding off the common cold, flu, or other bacterial infections. Not surprisingly, it starts with their diet.
6 Essential Foods For Your Kids
It probably goes without saying, but there is a HUGE difference between real food and processed ‘frankenfood,’ which is what we reach for when we’re in a hurry or on a tight budget. Ensuring your kids are consuming the right foods will provide their immune systems with vital nutrients to keep it working optimally.
- High-Quality Dairy and Animal Products – these contain rich sources of vitamins A, B, choline, and proteins their bodies need to build strong bones, a super-smart brain and keep the immune system in perfect shape.
- Sweet Potatoes – Another great source of vitamin A, these nutrient-dense root vegetables can be cut up, tossed with coconut oil and made into oven-baked French fries. Who doesn’t love a good French fry?
- Nuts and Seeds – We often forget about the health benefits of nuts and seeds. Leave out a bowl of their favorite nuts, add in a few pumpkin or sesame seeds, and finish it off with some fruit-juice-sweetened raisins; they will be gone in no time!
- Berries, Berries, and More Berries – As one of the most nutrient-dense fruits, you can basically give your kiddos carte blanche when it comes to eating these delicious fruits. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries contain a long list of essential nutrients, which makes it easy to say YES when they ask for a snack!
- Calcium Lactate – This particular form of calcium is precisely what the body needs to help build strong bones and teeth for a growing child. You can find it in almost every vegetable, but that’s kind of the problem – most kids don’t love cruciferous vegetables, dark, leafy greens, broccoli, spinach, or bok choy. This is one item we highly recommend supplementing to maintain sufficient amounts in the body.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Until the antibiotic era, fish oil, specifically Cod Liver Oil, was the #1 choice for parents when their kids got sick. Not only do Omega 3 oils nourish the immune system, but they also feed the brain, the eyes, and keep the heart in tip-top shape. If your kids can easily swallow Omega 3’s, that great! If not, make sure they eat a few walnuts or some chia seed pudding every few days!
If you would like more information about how to keep your children healthy and vibrant, we’d love to help!