Italian Turkey Burger Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add ground turkey, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic to skillet and saute until turkey is browned. Transfer to Dutch oven or pot.
In the same skillet, add carrots and celery and saute just until slightly tender (not too soft). Transfer to Dutch oven.
Add tomatoes to skillet to deglaze. Add beef broth, tomato paste and all the herbs (except parsley) to skillet and bring to a boil. Transfer to Dutch oven and stir to combine all the ingredients.
Simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes. Add parsley last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
Recipe Credit: Art and the Kitchen