Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound Tuscan or curly kale, thick center rib removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely grated or chopped Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, from about 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, from one large shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the walnuts for 5-8 minutes, until toasted and fragrant. Keep a close eye on them, as they will burn quickly. Combine the brussels sprouts and kale in a large bowl.
Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the vegetables. Add most of the walnuts and cheese, reserving some to garnish the platter, and toss well. Let the salad sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or up to a few hours in the fridge) to allow the flavors to combine and the vegetables to soften. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving dish and scatter the remaining walnuts and cheese over the top. Serve at room temperature.
*Can add craisins or strawberries for additional flavor. Stores well for up to 3 days.
Recipe Credit: Once Upon A Chef