- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, sliced (about 3-4 large leaves), plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium sweet or red onion, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups sliced)
- 1 large eggplant, sliced (about 3 cups sliced)
- 3 large roma tomatoes, sliced (about 3 cups sliced)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 6×9 inch baking dish and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the crushed tomatoes, oil and vinegar. Stir in the garlic, basil, salt, pepper and chili powder.
Pour the tomato mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth it into an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Stack the veggie slices in alternating patterns (e.g. onion, zucchini, eggplant, tomato; repeat) and place them on their side in the pan, leaning against the edge of the pan. Repeat until you’ve formed a couple of rows of veggies, filled the pan, and used up all the veggie slices.
Bake for about an hour, until the tomato sauce at the bottom is bubbling and the veggies are tender. Garnish with additional chopped fresh basil before serving (optional). Serve hot or cold.
Recipe Credit: A Clean Bake