5 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
Coconut oil and sea salt, for baking potatoes
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 ½ Tbsp. ghee, melted
3 Tbsp. dairy free milk
1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
2-3 Tbsp. hot sauce, to taste
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, optional
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Fresh herbs or green onion to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub sweet potatoes and dry well, then coat each one with a thin layer of coconut oil. Sprinkle each one with salt and bake for 45-55 minutes until soft on the inside and crisp outside. While the potatoes bake, cook, and crumble the bacon and prepare the other ingredients.
- Once potatoes are done, allow them to sit until cool enough to handle, then cut each one in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside of each potato into a bowl, leaving a ¼ “ layer inside of the skin.
- Using a pastry brush, coat inside of each potato skin with ghee, bacon fat, or coconut oil (thin layer) and sprinkle salt. Place face up on the same baking sheet and return to oven to bake 5 mins, then flip them (face down) and bake for another 5 minutes or until both sides are crisp.
- Mash the sweet potatoes in the bowl with ghee, dairy-free milk, mustard, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Adjust any seasonings to taste, then stir in half of the crumbled bacon.
- Spoon the mixture into the baked sweet potato skins and return to the oven for another 10 mins to heat through. Remove, then sprinkle on the rest of the bacon, fresh herbs or green onion, and additional hot sauce if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Inspired by: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/buffalo-sweet-potato-skins-paleo-whole30/